Gluten-Free Solutions for the Food Service and Hospitality Industry
With 2.5 million Canadians eating gluten-free, there is an overwhelming amount of information available on what and how to eat gluten-free. Disseminating what is fact and what is fiction can be a near impossible task.
The Gluten-Free Food Program (GFFP) has developed GF-Verified, GF-Dedicated and GF-Smart to support the food service and hospitality industry’s efforts to service the gluten-free community. These two programs consist of gluten-free training and operational best practices tailored to commercial food providers, including restaurants, caterers, camps, hotels, convention centres, healthcare and educational institutions, to name a few. Participation provides the added assurance to consumers that establishments have met stringent requirements for the production and handling of gluten-free products, setting themselves apart from all others displaying “GFFP Trade Marks” or making their own gluten-free claims.
By participating in the Gluten-Free Food Program, operators can benefit from the gluten-free market and its exponential growth by communicating their commitment to producing safe, reliable and trusted gluten-free products for consumers.
GFFP helps you meet gluten-free regulatory requirements and arms you with the knowledge, systems and training you need to keep your gluten-free customers safe. Either membership confirms your sincere commitment to gluten-free and maximizes your ability to effectively market to and reach the gluten-free community.
Training and food handling
• Take the guess work out of how to implement gluten-free operational processes
• Third-party verification for objective accountability
• Display the designated GFFP Trade Mark – consumer’s mark of assurance that your gluten-free program is done right
• Receive special establishment annual membership package to access resources and reach celiac and gluten-sensitive consumers with the endorsements from Canada’s two leading national organizations
• Receive establishment endorsed listings on the Canadian Celiac Association and Fondation québécoise de la maladie coeliaque web sites linked to our GF-Finder
• Access the full complement of GFFP’s marketing and public relations member benefits package
GF-Verified Benefits and Implementation Steps
GF-Smart is professional training for managers, servers and back of house staff covering the essential aspects of providing safe gluten-free foods within a commercial kitchen. The program covers all elements of the operation, and includes topics such as ingredient sourcing, proper storage practices, avoiding cross-contamination, gluten-free food preparation and serving. Taking the GF-Smart program will help food handlers:
• Understand the dietary needs of a growing medically diagnosed group
• Increase their confidence when dealing with a gluten-free request
• Provide better customer service
• Receive less complaints, improve job efficiency
• Become a more desirable hire
• Be socially responsible